Cardiff City travel to Bramall Lane on Saturday afternoon as Steve Morison and his team look to string together some form in their final four games of the season.
Paul Heckingbottom’s Sheffield United squad will be bolstered by star man Billy Sharp’s contract extension which will keep him at the club until the summer of 2023.
Here’s everything you need to know about this one.
What time is Sheffield Utd vs Cardiff City?
Sheffield Utd v Cardiff City kicks off at 3pm on Saturday April 23 at Bramall Lane.
Is Sheffield Utd v Cardiff City on TV?
No, the game will not be televised.
Sheffield Utd v Cardiff City Live Stream Details
UK fans will not be able to watch the Cardiff game as it kicks off at 3pm. International Video Passes are available to fans overseas for £10 courtesy of Cardiff City TV.
For UK fans, audio passes are available for £2.50 per game or £5 for the month, to track every kick. You can follow the match on our football page from noon.
What’s the latest from the team?
Morison has revealed he will be without Alfie Doughty and Sam Bowen for the rest of the season. Doughty is returning to parent club Stoke City, while Bowen’s slow recovery from a hamstring problem has ruled him out.
Isaak Davies also took a hit in training this week and was ruled out for this week, but Morison hopes that won’t keep him out of action for too long. Both Max Watters and Joe Ralls should be included in the team. Sean Morrison and Isaac Vassell remain long-time absentees.
Heckingbottom hopes Sharp will celebrate his contract extension with a return from injury in time to face the Bluebirds. George Baldock will also be part of the selection. The Blades boss is without Oli McBurnie (for the rest of the season), David McGoldrick, Rhian Brewster, Jack O’Connell and Charlie Goode through injury.
What did the managers say?
Heckingbottomspeaking on rival teams in the play-offs, said: “Everyone does the same thing: win and lose, the only thing for us is if we win our games we are there one game at a time against a Cardiff team that can be dangerous, they play with freedom.This stage of the season is really strange.
On Cardiff, he added: “They have changed the way they play. They are still a direct threat and tough, have scored the most goals from wide range. I still have that in the squad but I picked a lot more players with energy around that and they try to play a bit more football and in that regard really dangerous because they play with a freedom .
morison said: “We are not on a comparison with Sheffield United – they have players at 40,000 a week! We have to focus on ourselves and how we are going to do it. We are fully focused on ourselves and on the best plan for the future.
“The atmosphere will be fantastic. It’s a game you should look forward to. If you don’t show up you’ll be turned over. They’re a very good team and you have to appreciate that pressure. We want to win the game and I will go there and choose the most suitable team for this game.”
What are the latest betting odds?
Sheffield United – 4/7
Draw – 11/4
City of Cardiff – 5/1
Odds provided by PaddyPower and correct at time of publication.
- Sheffield United are looking to complete a league double against Cardiff City for the first time since the 1984-85 season.
- Cardiff City are unbeaten in six away league matches against Sheffield United (W2 D4) since a 2-1 defeat in December 2004.
- Sheffield United lost 2–1 in their last league game at home to Reading; they have never lost consecutive home games under Paul Heckingbottom, who last suffered back-to-back Football League home defeats in March 2018 as Leeds United manager.
- Cardiff City have lost three of their last four league games (W1), as many as in their previous 12 league games combined.
- Only Billy Sharp (14) has scored more league goals for Sheffield United this season than Morgan Gibbs-White (10), while no player has more assists than Gibbs-White (7, also tied with Sharp).